Approximately Feb-April 2021
- International Kayak Week is in the Bay of Islands 7 - 12 Feb 2021 and that is where we are going to start our adventure. If you haven't been to IKW yet, you should try to get there. Last year was the first time we (Russ and Larraine) had been and it was amazing. Such a treat to be paddling with some top kayakers and learning from them. Our plan is to go to IKW, then back to Auckland to unpack, repack and head south.
As our annual international kayak trip will not be happening for a while, we have a plan. Approx early Feb to late April Russ and Larraine are going on an extended trip around the South Island. We will be kayaking, biking, and walking, moving from place to place as we feel the urge. We would like to invite club members to join us for all or part of this journey, taking Aunty Cindy's suggestion to spend our tourist $$$ at home.
To come with us you will need to be self-sufficient, and an independent paddler. We are not offering to be trip leaders, it will be a collaboration, it is our holiday. We will keep you updated as to our upcoming moves, so if some part really appeals, you can dash down to join us. Of course we are open to suggestions as to what we do, we are very flexible.
- Abel Tasman (we have done this previously, but happy to go again if there is a demand)
- Peppin Island (fantastic place, 10km circumnavigation took us all day because of the caves and tunnels)
- Nelson Lakes
- D'Urville Island (would like the company of someone who has done this before)
- Kaikoura (easy to spend a week there with all the bike trails, touristy things and fabulous coastline, seals, whales)
- Marlborough Sounds
- Banks Peninsula / Christchurch area
- Fiordland (need to research this, I know some areas have restricted or difficult access)
- Otago Rail Trail + any other bike trails we come across
- Need to get back to Auckland to study my book on kayaking the South Island
We have chosen Feb-April as the schools have all gone back, and the weather is still warm enough.
For expressions of interest, please click here...